Immune Boosting Honey
It may be a small sample size but I have either given or made the recipe for so many of those close to me – including children who seem to be less fussy than the adults…. and every single one of them has either
- not come down with anything despite being around people with colds, coughs and other upper respiratory symptoms
- managed to not let their symptoms take hold
- shorten the time that they had their symptoms for
You will see that I have used Manuka Honey. It is a low grade one at 5+ so don’t get too caught up on having the best. It really does depend at what level you need the potency. The main thing here is to make sure it’s good quality. Raw honey is also AMAZING!
Onion and garlic are also used in our livers to help boost the sulphation pathway. Liver health is important in fighting off viruses as many of them have their origins in the liver. By making sure we are optimising our liver function we have a greater chance of the liver and our bodies, being able to fight it off.
Honey as well as being antimicrobial is amazing at soothing and helping remove any bacteria that has taken up residence in our throats.
What Do I Need?
- 1/2 Onion – can be white or red
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 3/4 cup of Honey – Raw, Manuka, something of good quality
Let’s Do This!
1. Finely chop the onion. This does not need to be perfect. Place into a glass bowl. You want this to be glass as the onion and garlic will draw in the compounds found in plastic.
2. Crush the garlic cloves into the bowl.
3. Cover the onion and garlic with the honey.
4. Cover and let it sit for 24 hours. You can start taking spoonfuls within 6 but make sure the main mixture is left for 24hours to ensure it’s potency.
5. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a glass jar. You will notice the honey has become more water like.
If you are taking this as a preventative: 1 dessertspoon per day for adults and 1 teaspoon for children should be plenty. You can however do morning and night if you want to,
If you have cold/flu symptoms: take 1 dessertspoon up to 6 times a day for adults and 1 teaspoon up to 6 times a day for children for 3-4 days. Then you can switch back to the preventative dose until your symptoms have gone away.
NOTE: This is not to be used in replace of medication where required. If your symptoms are getting worse or not resolved within 3-4 days consult a health professional.
You can have this made up and stored in a glass jar for up to 1 month so it’s on hand when needed,