Roasted Celeriac + Carrot Soup with Thyme
I have been trying to get in some additional vegetables into my day. Breakfast is actually generally always the hardest. Not when I am at home but when I am on the move. I’m presently working in a cafe which has me starting work at 7:30am and on a bus at 6:30am so I need something portable and easy to consume. This is what lead me to having soups! And this Roasted Celeriac and Carrot Soup is my latest creation
To be truly honest celery is not one of my favourite vegetables. I mean sure it’s great filled with hummus. But as a flavour or by itself, not something I’m particularly drawn too. So I decided to give celeriac a try.
Celeriac is the root of the celery. It does have a celery-like flavour but with a nuttiness that I think makes it taste so much better than celery. It is also well known for it nutrient profile, far outweighing the benefits of celery alone. It is packed with fibre, vitamin K, vitamin C and antioxidants. And it’s sooo versatile so expect to see some more recipes coming your way with the vegetable.
You may have noticed by now that I love roasting vegetables before I make a soup. While this does take a little longer the sweetness and the flavour enhancement that is achieved is well worth the extra time.
I added carrots to bring a sweetness to the soup and to be honest because I didn’t want it to taste too much like celery… Carrots also being a root vegetable complements the taste of the celeriac perfectly. The thyme really rounds out the grounding nature of this dish.
This Roasted Celeriac + Carrot Soup with Thyme is not only great for those cold days or for me the cold mornings. The lightness of the celeriac allows this to be enjoyed in the warmer months as well, especially when you are looking for a lighter meal. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this, I love to see your creations!
What Do I Need?
- 1 Celeriac Bulb (approx 800-900g)
- 5 medium sized Carrots
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 to 6 cups of vegetable Broth (see below for a quick alternative)
- 5 sprigs of Thyme + extra for topping
- Salt + Pepper to taste
Vegetable Broth Herbs + Spices
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dried Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ground Coriander
Let’s Do This!
1. Preheat the oven to 200c.
2. Cut off the roots of celeriac and peel. Dice celeriac + carrots roughly into 3cm cubes. Place in roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt + pepper. Toss until all the vegetables are well coated.
3. Roast in the oven 35 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are beginning to caramelize and brown.
4. Whilst the vegetables are roasting put your spices into a 4 cup jug and top with boiling water.
4. When the vegetables are done roasting, transfer them into a blender or bowl (if using a stick blender). Add the thyme leaves from the 5 sprigs with 4 cups of vegetable broth. Puree until smooth. Add up to 2 cups more of with vegetable broth or water to achieve the consistency you desire.
5. Place the soup into a pot and warm on the stove. Serve with extra thyme.
This recipe is gluten and dairy free, vegan friendly, SIBO friendly and is nut free.