I really want to change the narrative around ‘missing out’ when you are told to remove inflammatory foods from your diet. This ‘Cheesy’ Herb Chicken Schnitzel is the perfect example. Gluten free and dairy free, the crumb is packed fill with nutrients that actually decrease inflammation rather than worsening it.
Crispy and golden on the outside, it is everything you want your classic Schnitzel to be. It would be perfect to make Dad this weekend.
For those that are diary free it can feel like you need to miss out on that cheesy goodness. Introducing Nutritional Yeast. This is a perfect way to get the cheese taste without the inflammation that diary can bring. Adding this into the crumb is a game changer.
The crumb of this Chicken Schnitzel also has almond meal and hemp seeds, which gives it a delicious crunch.
Hemp seeds are quickly becoming my new favourite ‘super’ food. They are an amazing source of plant based Omega-3’s and protien. Omega-3’s are the bomb when it comes to lowering inflammation. So many conditions today have inflammation as an underlying driver. This is just another perfect example how food can be medicine.
A little tip when you are prepping these. If you can, once the crumb is on, pop them in the fridge to ‘rest’ before cooking them. It just helps the crumb stay on better.
What Do I Need?
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2-2/3 cup of Almond Meal
- 1/4 cup of Hemp Seeds, hulled
- 1/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon of Mixed Herbs
- Buckwheat Flour for dusting
- Coconut Oil for cooking
Let’s Do This!
1. Cut each of the Chicken Breasts in half long ways.
2. On a plate mix together the almond meal, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and mixed herbs.
3. On a seperate plate, cover with buckwheat flour.
4. Coat the chicken breast in the buckwheat flour, then dip the chicken breast into the egg. Place the chicken breast onto the plate with the crumb mix, pressing firmly to ensure that all the chicken breast is covered.
5. Place the coated chicken breast on a clean plate.
6. Heat a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in a heavy based pan, over medium heat.
7. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on one side, turn and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
This recipe is gluten and dairy free.