Other than the taste, the best thing about this Kaleslaw is the colour! How vibrant is the mix of purple, orange and green. When I talk about eating the rainbow this bowl has you covered.
This is a salad that you’ll want to add to your plate on a regular basis, if only for its beautiful vibrant colors! Honestly, though, this Kaleslaw pairs so well with whatever you are cooking, is perfect no matter what time of the year and has crazy nutritional density just to give you a few more reasons to make this beauty a regular part of your meal times.
I have popped a note down below regarding the massaging of the kale. I really encourage you not to skip this step. Not only does it soften the kale, making it more easily digestable, the connection that it gives you to your food is so deeply nurturing. Literally squeeze some love into those kale leaves. You can also do this with the cabbage, it allows some of the juice to be released and makes it more supple.
This colorful Kaleslaw is super quick and easy to whip up and the perfect meal prep recipe to have on hand all week. So versatile, so delicious.
What do I need?
- 100g Kale, thinly sliced – see note below
- 300g Red Cabbage, thinly sliced – – see note below
- 150g Carrot, grated
- 50g Tahini
- 2 Tablespoon Macadamia Nut Oil (substitute for Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
Let’s Do This!
1. Add kale, cabbage and carrot to a large bowl. Toss to combine.
2. In a small bowl whisk together tahini, macadamia nut oil, vinegar and mustard until well combined.
3. Pour tahini mixture over the cabbage mix. Stir until cabbage mix is well covered. You can eat it this immediately, however I do think it’s better once the dressing has had time to rest on the salad. I recommend at least an hour in the fridge if you have the time (or can resist it!).
NOTE: Kale has a tendency to be a little tough. Once you have sliced it, drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil with a sprinkle of salt and massage this into the kale for 2-3 mins. This helps soften the kale and makes it more enjoyable! You can also do this with the cabbage to release so of the juice.