Green beans with Cranberries + Almonds is the simple side dish that pops will colour + flavour – it truly brings the beans to life!
This dish (or a version of) always makes it to my Christmas table.
Green beans are a delicious vegetable with a crunchy texture and fine flavour. Personally I think they aren’t given the attention they deserve as a feature on the table. They are often pushed aside for brocollini or Brussel sprouts. Not that I’m against those – I freaking love having those as a side (in fact here are recipes for Brocollini + Brussels Sprouts) . But I just want to bring to light the yumminess that can be green beans, especially Green Beans with Cranberries + Almonds.
This recipe coaxes out the subtle flavor out of this versatile veggie through combining it with other flavors to make them shine.
For these Green Beans with Cranberries + Almonds I combine both blanching with pan frying. This keeps the incredible firm crunch texture with a slightly smokey flavour bought by the frying.
These Green Beans with Cranberries + Almonds really is an incredible side dish! They truly are ready to be served with absolutely anything!
What Do I Need?
- 200g of Green Beans – tops off, I like leaving the tails on
- 1/4 Cup of Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 Cup of Flaked Almonds
- 1 Tablespoon of Orange Zest
- 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Let’s Do This!
1.Place the beans into a glass or metal bowl + cover with boiling water. Cover + leave for 3-5 minutes. You want these to be just starting to cook, they still need to be crunchy. Then drain.
2. Heat the EVOO in a medium fry pan over medium heat
3. Add the beans + toss in the oil. Season with salt + pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the flaked almonds + orange zest + toss. Cook for another 2-3 minutes then add the Cranberries for another minute.
5. Place the beans onto a plate or flat bowl. Top with the scrapings from the pan – that warm oil will have all the flavour!
Serves 4 as a side with other vegetable dishes
The recipe is gluten free, dairy free, SIBO (phase 2), vegan