One of the best parts about my birthday was this question from Mum? “So what am I making for your birthday dinner?” My answer was always ‘Peanut Butter Chicken’. This is by far one of those meals I could absolutely live on for the rest of my life. As it is my birthday in just a mere couple of days I thought now is as good as time as any to share this recipe with you.
Now this recipe came out of the one of the classic cookbooks of the 80’s (yep showing my age here) The Women’s Weekly Microwave Cookbook. Trust me, the flavours are amazing. I honestly loved this dish as a young child just as much as I love it today. And I mean anything with Peanut Butter in the title has to be a winner doesn’t it?
There is something special about sharing food that has bought me so much joy over my lifetime with you all. I get so much pleasure from making food for others, from sharing food with others + from the moments that bring us together to share food. One of those moments is most definitely my birthday.
For those that know me well, you will know I absolutely LOVE my birthday. I truly believe this is a day of celebration. And it has nothing to do with presents. It really is about spending time with those I love, doing the things I love. That extends to you! That is exactly why I am sharing this Peanut Butter Chicken recipe, my choice of birthday dinner, one of the highlights of my birthday. I want you to experience yummy food with me!
Now I will usually make Mum cook me Yorkshire Puddings to go with this… I know they are meant for your roast, but the idea of them is to mop up the sauce. And Yorkshire Puddings + Peanut Butter Chicken Sauce are a match made in heaven! I’m in the process of nailing a gluten free, dairy free version of these so keep an eye out for those! I highly recommend making the Warm Buttered Slaw to make with this.
I have adapted it a little + I now cook this in a fry pan but the essence of this Peanut Butter Chicken is most certainly still intact. Enjoy and please if you knock this one up make sure you snap a picture + share it with me. You have no idea how much my heart will beaming!
What Do I Need?
- 8 Chicken Thigh Fillets (skin off)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic, crushed – can substitute Garlic Infused EVOO
- 2 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 Cup of Crunch Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Honey
- 1/2 Cup of Chicken Stock
- 2 Teaspoons of Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon of Curry Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Cardamom (ground)
- Dash of Tabasco Sauce
Let’s Do This!
1. Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat. If you are using the Garlic EVOO, make this one of your 2 Tablespoons. Add the onion + garlic and cook until softened, approx 5 minutes.
2. Stir in peanut butter, honey, stock, mustard, curry powder, cardamom + tabasco.
3. Add the chicken + cook on one side for 6 minutes, turn and cook on the other side for another 6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. If your sauce is a little too thick, add 1/4 cup of water.
4. The absolute most important part is ENJOY!!! And make sure that you scrape all the sticky bits from the side of the pan onto your plate…!
Gluten free, dairy free,