When you just throw everything into a roasting dish and this incredibly tasty Mediterranean Lemon + Olive Chicken is the result! This is one of my absolute favourite ways to cook. Everything in one pan. Lined with foil. In the oven. It means very little washing up – unless the foil rips…. You can be jumping in the shower, catching up on the news or anything really whilst dinner is cooking. It’s truly an easy no fuss way of getting a healthy dinner on the table with minimal effort.
The way the flavours infuse in a tray bake is what gives them their punch of deliciousness. This Mediterranean Lemon + Olive Chicken combines the juiciness of the chicken thighs surrounded with olives and zesty lemon slices. Making sure you choose chicken thighs with the skin on ensures you have a delightful crunch mixed into the softness of roasted eggplant, zucchini + capsicum.
I had the pleasure of heading out into my Uncles veggie patch to enjoy the vegetables literally straight from the patch and into the pan.
That coupled with some gorgeous free-range chicken, raised at a local farm, the goodness was just oozing from this dish.
Where possible I have really began to try and source my food as locally and as fresh as possible. Yes I agree it does sometimes cost a little more – unless you have an Uncle with a veggie patch you can raid… But honestly the taste and the goodness that you get from the food is so worth it.
I do find that the veggies from a farmers market is usually a lot cheaper than what I pay at a supermarket. The meat I have made a conscious decision to eat smaller portions of, so I can still spend the same amount out of the budget.
For our health we should be consuming a source of protein with each meal. However I do believe we do tend to make that portion just a little too big. I know I was certainly guilty of this. Our portion should be equivilant to the size of our palm or to the first knuckle. The rest of our plate should be filled with veggies and good fats (all found in this yummy dish!).
Mediterranean Lemon + Olive Chicken is a tasty mix of freshness and comfort. Perfect for enjoying all year round! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this, I love to see your creations!
What Do I Need?
- 4 Chicken Thighs, skin on, bone in
- 2 Capsicums
- 2 Zucchinis (medium)
- 1 Eggplants
- 1 Lemon
- 15-20 Kalamata Olives
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt + Pepper to taste
Let’s Do This!
1. Preheat the oven to 200c.
2. Line a large baking tray with foil (this saves on the washing up!).
3. Chop up all the vegetables and chuck them into the foil lined tray.
4. Drizzle generously with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss vegetables.
5. Slice the lemons and cut in half, place through the vegetables. Scatter over the olives.
6. Pat the skins of the chicken thighs. Place your chicken thighs on top, rub with a little EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
8. Rest for 5 minutes before serving. There will be lots of juice in the bottom of the pan, do not leave this off the plate, so much goodness and tastiness in that juice!
This recipe is gluten and dairy free, SIBO + Hydrogen Sulfide friendly and is nut free.