Lamb + Quinoa + Capsicum = a Moroccan delight that will tantalise your taste buds!
Like any good Moroccan dish I couldn’t go past adding a generous helping of smoked paprika to the mix. The flavour combination from the sweetness of the roasted capsicums combined with the smokiness of the paprika, truly is something to behold!
This one may seem a little more fiddly than my other recipes but rest assured, it takes no longer than about 15 minutes actual cooking time. The rest the oven does for you. You can have these beauties on the table in about 30 minutes.
In case your new around here (or haven’t quite realised I’m a massive fan of vegetables) these Lamb + Quinoa Stuffed Capsicums are packed with veggies! Not only are you being dished up a serve with the half capsicum, there is the added bonus of zucchini and spinach in the mince. Using grated zucchini and frozen spinach allows the vegetables to seamlessly blend into the mince.
Did you know that capsicums are a great source of vitamin C? And that when you add vitamin C to your non-animal sources of iron it allows the body to absorb more of the iron? When we combine the capsicum with the spinach and quinoa we are allowing the body to not only have a great iron dose from the lamb but also the added kick from the spinach and quinoa!
Quinoa adds an easily digestible form of wholegrains for a bonus health kick! Refined grains are so prominent in today’s Western diets and they really do not contain any form of nutrients for us. Wholegrains on the other hand are PACKED with benefits. Everything from improved blood sugar and insulin control through to gut and heart health. This dish really does deliver in so many ways – including taste!
These Lamb + Quinoa Stuffed Capsicums combine simplicity with tastiness, heartiness with lightness. They are the perfect combination for any time of the day, any day of the year. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this, I love to see your creations!
What Do I Need?
- 2 Large or 3 Medium Capsicums, cut in half
- 400g Lamb Mince
- 1 Medium Zucchini, grated
- 4 Blocks of Frozen Spinach
- 1 cup Quinoa, cooked
- 3 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon of Smoked Paprika
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt + Pepper to taste
Let’s Do This!
1. Preheat the oven to 200c.
2. Place the capsicums on a foiled lined, lightly greased tray. Roast for 15 mins.
3. Whilst your capsicums are roasting. Heat a little EVOO in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add the lamb and frozen spinach and cook until lamb is almost cooked through.
4. Add the tomato paste and the smoked paprika, ensuring it is well combined with the mince.
5. Add the zucchini and cook until the spinach is all defrosted and mixed through and zucchini has integrated.
6. Take off the heat and add the quinoa. Stir to combine.
7. Remove the capsicum from the oven and spoon mixture evenly into them
8. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
9. Enjoy! I served mine with a tahini drizzle and a side salad.
This recipe is gluten and dairy free, SIBO friendly and is nut free.
This recipe can be made ahead and just reheated when you need it and it still is as amazing as when it was first cooked. If you need to make it a little more kid friendly then some grated cheese on top is a great idea!