Walking through the markets last weekend I saw some amazing looking fennel. Even though they are coming to the end of their season, these were large with bright green tops and that unmistakable smell of aniseed. There are so many ways to enjoy fennel and it’s a very versatile and I think often under rated vegetable. I think it may be the link to the aniseed/licorice flavour that prevents people from using this vegetable.
Whilst there are many ways to enjoy fennel, one of my favourites is to roast it. Roasting fennel brings out a sweetness that you don’t get if you eat it raw. It mellows out the aniseed flavour and really softens it. Seriously it melts in your mouth.
Having this nice large fennel I thought it would be the perfect time to put together a recipe showcasing how yummy fennel can be. With the flavours of fresh rosemary and thyme from my garden, the freshness of lemon, it all marries perfectly with the chicken.
As you know I like easy and simple recipes so this one follows that principle – everything in a roasting tray, check it once and that’s it. This is perfect for serving up to family and friends. It is also perfect for meal prepping (another thing I love!). I have used infused oils in the recipe as those following a low FODMAP or SIBO diet often find these easy to tolerate, allowing the flavour without the gut distress. If you are ok with garlic or onion but all means uses the actual vegetable. I have given both options in the recipe below.
What do I need?
- 6-8 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Fennel Bulb, medium to large
- 1 Eggplant
- 2-3 Carrots
- 2-3 Zucchini
- 1/3 Butternut Pumpkin
- 5cm sprig of Rosemary
- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- 2 Tbs Garlic Infused Oil or 2 cloves crushed
- 2 Tbs Onion Infused Oil or 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- Coconut Oil
Let’s Do This!
1. Preheat the oven to 200c.
2. Slice the eggplant into 1/2-1cm slices. Crack over salt and put to one side.
2. Cut up the rest of the vegetables. Carrots and pumpkin into 1/2cm chunks, I just give mine a quick scrub and leave the skin on. Zucchini into 1cm chunks. Fennel, slice off the bottom and the stalks, keep a little of the leaves. Remove the outer layer. Cut into 8.
3. Remove the leaves of the rosemary and thyme.
4. Pat the eggplant with paper towel and cut in half.
5. Grease the bottom of your roasting pan with coconut oil. Add in all of the vegetables, herbs and fennel leaves.
6. Drizzle over the garlic and onion oil or add in your onion slices and crushed garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Place your drumsticks on top of the vegetables then mix.
8. Squeeze over the lemon and then place among the vegetables.
9. Cover with foil and pop into the oven for 30 mins,
10. Remove the foil and toss around the vegetables and place back in the oven for another 30mins.
11. Check the drumsticks are cooked by piercing them with a knife, if the juice runs clear they are cooked.
12. Discard the lemon, plate up, making sure you scrape out all those yummy pan juices and enjoy!
I love this served out on a platter down the middle of the table for everyone to enjoy.
FODMAP and SIBO friendly. Gluten free, diary free, nut free, low carb.